will johnston posted from the Delmarva newsletter:

> The highlight of the symposium was an unofficial announcement that
> there will be three Udall Parkinson's Disease Centers of
> Excellence. Each will be funded by the federal government with a
> million dollars per year for five years. The three Udall Centers of
> Excellence will be at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston,
> Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, and, of course, Johns Hopkins
> University Hospital in Baltimore. The federal grant is not yet
> official as the Omnibus Spending Bill has not been signed into law,
> but there is little chance that the spending bill will not become
> official in the very near future. Our lobbying is about to pay off!

NIH had announced a request for application (RFA) for the Udall
centers, and I hadn't heard anything until someone posted in less
detail than the above here two weeks ago that they heard a similar
announcement from Dr. Reich at a symposium.  Well, this is great
news, although communication on this matter has been a bit sparse and
fragmentary, to say the least.  I wonder whether further Udall
centers (the Udall Bill specifies 10) and any other Udall provisions
are contemplated, and how we will find out.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990