    Robin of PDF  - i do not think you can call AIDS communicable, not like
polio was or tyhoid or measles or TB.  Anyone who knows about AIDs, no
matter how low their IQ, and who gives a damn, can avoid getting it (except
for those extraordinary instances of accidental sticking by hiddden needles,
etc - a true handful.).  Are not the only one we are protecting now are
those who DON'T give a damn?  Are we spending our money on people who don't
deserve it?  Yeah, i think we might be.
    I used to think the cause of AIDS research was so much more successful
than that of PD because the world's entire gay community had a stake in it
and were behind it.  We don't have a such a natural constituency.  But now
is there still that personal stake among the gay population?
    Except for those brave AIDS victims who have managed to hold on since
before AIDS education becane widespread - what can one say about such
victims today?  That they deserve it?  Certainly  not!  But do they now
deserve the same PRIORITY over limited funds as they have had?  HELL NO!  Is
it communicable only among those who choose to throw the dice.  Yes it is,
and those who throw the dice have to be prepared what they're betting.  That
the point of gambling, after all.
    The AIDS numbers are WAY down - education has been successful.  Put a
condom on it before you stick it in.  I would think it has gotten safe
enough in some quarters not to have to do that any more. Promiscuity among
gays is also way down.  Why are WE, not the "Federal Government" or
Congress, spending ANY more money, much less hundreds of millions of MORE
dollars, on it?   $ that could do a lot more good fighting our own PD than
saving irresponsible dumbasses from themselves? And that includes, of
course, all dirty needle users.
     PD is not fatal, AIDS is?  Define fatal, please if you use that
argument.
    I had offereed my caution to people on this List a number of times that
i didn't think we should be bad-mouthing other people's causes in our fight
for PD $.   But i think it is time.  $100,00,000.00 is NOT enough, and since
there is clearly a limited number of dollars available i think we have to
look around for it.
    There is surely still lots of bigotry and hate towards gays - just ask
the parents of that kid who went to college in WY.  I don't think this has
to be an anti-gay issue, or even an anti-dumbass issue.  It Is A Matter of
Fairness & Equity!  And it is a political issue.
    Perhaps we should consider changing our lobbying tactics, Robin. What do
you think, on a preliminary basis & not officially, of course.