If you have time or are sleepless see this story .  :-)

The Stranger

A few months ago before I was born, my dad met a stranger  who was new
our small Tennessee town. From the beginning, Dad was fascinated  with
this
enchanting newcomer, and soon invited him to live with our family. The
stranger was quickly accepted and was around to welcome me into the
world a
few  months later. As I grew up I never questioned his place in our
family and develop the art of teasing. My parents were  complementary
instructors -- Mom taught me to love the Word of God and Dad  taught me
obey it.

But the stranger was our storyteller. He could  weave the most
fascinating
tales. Adventures, mysteries and comedies were daily  conversations. He
could hold our whole family spell-bound for hours each  evening. If I
wanted to know about politics, history, or science, he knew it  all. He
knew about the past, understood the present, and seemingly could predict

the future. The pictures he could draw were so lifelike that I would
often
laugh  or cry as I watched. He was like a friend to the whole family.
He took Dad,  Bill and me to our first major league baseball game. He
was
always encouraging  us to see the movies and he even made arrangements
introduce us to several  movie stars. My brother and I were deeply
impressed by John Wayne in  particular.

The stranger was an incessant talker. Dad didn't seem to mind  - but
sometimes Mom would quietly get up -- while the rest of us were
enthralled
with one of his stories of faraway places -- to her room, read her Bible

and  pray. I wonder now if she ever prayed that the stranger would
leave. You see,  my Dad ruled our household with certain moral
convictions.
But this stranger  never felt obligation to honor them. Profanity, for
example, was not allowed in  our house - not from us, from our friends,
or
adults. Our longtime visitor,  however, used occasional four-letter
words
that burned my ears and made Dad  squirm. To my knowledge the stranger
was
never confronted. My dad was a  teetotaler who didn't permit alcohol in
his
home -- not even for cooking. But  the stranger felt like we needed
exposure
and enlightened us to other ways of  life. He offered us beer an other
alcoholic beverages
often. He made cigarettes  look tasty, cigars manly, and pipes
distinguished. He talked freely (probably  too much too freely) about
sex.
His comments were sometimes blatant, sometimes  suggestive, and
generally
embarrassing. I know now that my early concepts of the  man-woman
relationship were influenced by the stranger. As I look back, I  believe
it
was the grace of God that the stranger did not influence us more.  Time
after time he opposed the values of my parents. Yet he was seldom
rebuked
and was never asked to leave.

More than thirty years have passed since the  stranger moved in with the

young family on Morningside Drive. He is not nearly  to intriguing to my

Dad as he was in those early years. But if I were to walk  into my
parent's
den today, you would still see him sitting over in a corner,  waiting
for
someone to listen to him talk and watch him draw his pictures. His
name?

We always just called him TV.

Have a great  day!
---