Hello all,

At the end of this (rather long) posting there is a question for ALL
listmembers!!

But first some information, so you will know what the question is about:

At this moment the 5th Framework Programme for Research is being discussed
by the European Parliament and the European Council. Not the contents of
this programm, but [what else??] the amount of money made available for the
5th framework (somewhere between $18 billion and $14 billion) is point of
discussion.

In the 5th framework PD WILL be mentioned as a priority in research.
For each segment for research a % of the total amount will be available.
Although PD is a priority, the money in the segment were PD is in, has to be
shared with AD (another priority) and many other chronic diseases and
handicaps.

The deviding is a task for the European Commission, that needs again then
the consent of the European Parliament. A lot of subcommittees are advising
or deciding in this.

So also a lot of influencing can be done to assure the appropriation of the
maximum possible amount for direct and indirect PD-research in Europe for
the next years (about $100 million each year [this sounds familiar, doesn't
it?]).

Ana Mari del Arco, Benedicte Boutet and Dietmar Wessel (members of the
european sublists) have taken the initiative to take ACTION. (I joined them
later). What action?:
- Writing letters to the EP
- Writing letters to committee-members
- Writing letters to the EC
- Writing to and activating the european associations
- The same with the governments of the countries of the European Community.
- ETC. (I think you got the idea!!)

Initially we were supported by:
- Parkinson Universal (spanish list, 160 members)
- Parkliste (french list, 75 members)
- Federation des Groupements de Parkinsoniens (french association, 2000
  members)
- PWP Zeeland en W-Brabant (dutch supportgroup, 50 members)

Several people from Europe as well as the rest of the world (especially from
the USA!!) have offered their support, help and assistence since then!!!

In order to have more impact and influence we need as much people as
possible to support us!!! These supporting groups/lists/associations will be
mentioned as our supporters f.e. in the signature of the letters specified
above.

Last week I wrote to our listowner Barb Patterson, if she was willing to
support our actions on behalf of the members of the Toronto-list, who live
in Europe or even the entire list??

Barb answered the following:

>>Hi, Hans. As far as I am concerned, feel free to sign the letter for me
>>as listowner of the PIEN list.  Perhaps you could post a message to the
>>list and we'll let the majority rule re signing it from the entire list.
>>Keep up the good work!  :) Barb

As Barb suggests, I post this message to the list!

In our letters and negociations with the European Parliament, etc., shall be
mentioned that the Toronto-listmembers support our actions, f.e.:
"Supported by the (European) members of the Parkinsn Information Exchange
Network, (worldwide) english listservice on the internet, 1600 members.
Listowner Barb Patterson <[log in to unmask]>."

QUESTION:

If there are members that object to the mentioning of the entire list as
supporting our actions, please feel free to send in your objections before
Tuesday 3 November, 12.00 a.m. Toronto-time.

Hans (also on behalf of Ana Mari, Benedicte and Dietmar).