hi sharon

you wrote, in part:
>... I am one that found the "Ethel" joke to be very funny.
>... "She" is a fictional character in a joke, for God's sake.
>What we are talking about here, is an adult joke, NOT
>"victimization"...Those of us on the List are neither children
>nor ignorant adults who are likely to believe that "telling or
>laughing at an adult joke" is the same as  "condoning the
>behavior"....The pendulum of "Politically Correct" has swung
>far enough, it's time to push it back a ways....And yes, I
>have found some "wife-beating" jokes to be quite humorous,
>and I have been the victim of abuse. However, when I became
>able to laugh about it, I could see the underlying problem clearly
>for the first time. Laughter was the catalyst to my "healing"...

i have listened to all opinions expressed so far
i can laugh at most things
adult or juvenile or subtle or coarse or 'sick' or...

but i still feel uneasy about the 'victimization' point that was made
maybe each one of us has a comfort 'line' in a slightly different place

mine seems to be situated about here:

jokes about sex yes / jokes about rape no
jokes about jewish ethnicity yes / jokes about auschwitz no
jokes about silly pet tricks yes / jokes about pit bull fighting no
jokes about bad driving yes / jokes about drunk driving no

the common denominator on the 'no' side
for me at least
for now at least
seems to be deliberate and conscious acts of cruelty

janet

janet paterson - 51 now / 41 dx / 37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada
http://www.newcountry.nu/pd/members/janet/