As Bruce and Bill have pointed out so well, there is a
problem with the funding levels and, wisely, there are
answers to these problems IF they are applied. The
voice of reason has never been a big hit in the halls
of Congress nor in the NIH.

I would love to know how many physical conditions have
proxy representation in those halls. There must be
hundreds, each one knowing that funding is the only
answer if those he represents are to live a full and
healthy life.

And therein is the old "squeeky wheel" theory. After
reading a book name, "And the Band Played On," anyone
can grasp what the AIDS people went through to get the
attention of Congress. Their fight was many times
harder than anything we have done because of all the
negative connotations surrounding their disease. Even
today, in this supposed "enlightened" society, there
are those who look down on others because of race,
religious creeds and sexual preference.

But there is a lesson to be learned from the AIDS folk.
They did what we are trying to do and they did it so
well that they came out on the top of the funding heap.

--
Habitat for Horses - Help us save the horses! Go to:
http://www.eyegive.com/html/ssi.cfm?CID=3507&MID=27440