Oh, I went to that show taping (Making Healthy Choices) about a week ago,
and it was pretty interesting.  I got the chance to ask the woman, Maureen
Salaman, about treating PD naturally, she specifically mentioned a
multi-mineral product, antioxidant, borage oil as being primary supplements
to take.  There are others listed in her book, All Your Health Questions
Answered -  Naturally", in her chapter on PD.  She is the only person I've
ever really seen/heard who has specifically said that she has seen PD
reversed (as well as MS, ALS, AD, etc.) and gives a detailed
nutritional/supplement protocol for achieving this.

One guy I met  at the taping, had had a stroke, high blood pressure,
diabetes,etc., starting with the stroke at age 48.  He was pretty much
paralyzed on one side, and when also hit with the other conditions, ended up
living in a nursing home.  Well, he said that while it took him about seven
years (the time for the body to replace every cell thru normal processes),
he was able to get rid of the high blood pressure, the diabetes, and most of
the stiffness from the stroke, by using nutritional means.  His theory is
that over those seven years that as his body was creating new cells to
replace the old, the new ones came in better, so to speak, cuz they were
being created from a solid basis, not from junk food,etc.

I'm going to also bring this up with my neurologist next time I see him, cuz
even Maureen Salaman also recommends that for serious, chronic, illnesses,
that one shouldn't treat them on one's own.  I also believe it to be
important to get "conventional" doctors involved with these sorts of things,
cuz if they do work, and the Dr. sees that firsthand, he can no longer
dismiss it.   I don't agree with people who sneak around behind their Dr.'s
backs and pursue alternative medicine.  Besides the fact that it can help
enlighten both sides of the debate to have them both involved, one should be
careful of possible interactions between herbs and drugs, etc.  I also feel
that if your Dr. isn't at least open to other ideas, then you need to find
one who is.  Mine have been very open-minded to all that I've tried so far.
While they wouldn't like me to abadon traditional treatment for PD, they are
supportive of me trying to supplement that with acupuncture, etc.  "WW -
Whatever Works" is a good motto, I think.

Personally too, just speaking for myself, if I were a Doctor, I would be
curious about other ideas than my own.  I love to learn, and I don't believe
one's learning  stops after one has the M.D., license, or any other for that
matter.  On my job, I am constantly learning, cuz the technology is always
changing.

.....And now that the latest news is that maybe new brain cells do grow
after all, all of this may not be so far fetched.  PD was a long time in
coming, so for that reason, as well as the fact that it takes seven years
for all your body's cells to be replaced via natural cell death and
regrowth, any nutritional type of treatment will likely take months, even
years maybe, to start showing signs of disease reversal.  In the meantime, I
know it could only help me to feel better generally.  Even before I got this
PD, it was hard to keep up with work and everything else, while still trying
to get enough sleep, exercise and nutrition.  It's even harder now to do
this, but it's even more imperative to do so.

Wendy Tebay