In a message dated 10/25/98 10:24:40 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I was just inspired to this poem, thanks to all of the replies to my posting
 for poetry inputs.  PD, while closing many doors, also opens others, for all
 of us, altho' these new doors may be different for each.  For me, it's
 definitely my poetry. >>

Wendy,

I have hesitated to send this.  When I wrote it the first time, I was
searching for a vehicle to "yank the legs" of everyone with whom I have had
any experience the past few years. It was written originally as a ditty to
sing.

Regards,
WHH 55/19

With apologies to the author of the 35th TFW Songbook., Phan Rang AB, RVN,
1968

VERSES: (3/4 TIME):

1. Attention earthlings, we're 1 million strong

and more are certainly coming along.

Pay for Mo now, and soon you will see

Some very weird folks glad to act normally.

2. The Parkinson's  patient is in quite a bind..

 With four eyes a searching his pills he can't find..

Caregiver caregiver come on the run.

His  dopa's run out and he's having no fun.

3. .  PD is certainly very PC.

Color and gender it simply can't see.

In megabucks lost it extracts quite a fee.

Stopping all flavor taxpayers quite equally.

4. Those Medical Doctors are caring and smart,

Their therapy aimed at you right from their heart.

But the second profession is not like the first,

They don't have to please to get into your  purse.

5. Parkinson's researchers, PRs for short,

why they have the corner on new  PD smart.

For one hundred mil why they'll do their thing

 to abolish the fun stuff that PD can bring.

6. They are really too busy now why can't we see?

 to talk to the likes of you and of me.

Stay outa my lab I'm a PH & D

To help you get money I'm way too busy

7. Ability to move is a right just from birth,

and no normal person quite knows of its worth.

"Do for yourself's" the American Creed.

and those who do not are judged lazy indeed.

8.  If Mr. Rush Limbaugh, had Parkinson's Disease.

 He could no longer just do as he pleased.

At "functional laziness" he would not scoff

Plumb certain and chubby is more fun than off.

9. Cash opportunities he would soon miss

these situations would leave him a-fizz,

Unable to perform, he'd let it go by.

His wisdom would soon turn to "pie in the sky."

10. The pharmacy industry all will agree,

Has done quite a lot for you and for me

Their really swell pills may soon set us free

but finding those pills will take lots of money

11. We are quite certain that this isn't greed,

We'll pay it all back now if that's what you need

If we can quit pills, plenty money is freed

In less than 2 days living minus PD !

12. The troops of both parties are caring and smart,

Just personally too busy to assume a part

Although its quite true that they really do care,

Today and tomorrow they  must do their hair  (they are  "sooo busy".)

13. The lib politicians are right in there too.

If you need help with whatever you do.

A government program will fix it all too,

But first must be proved quite a disabled you.

14. Conservatives also cannot be outdone

But won't teach our kids how a paycheck is won.

 Please teach my children to learn how to work

Not the Government's job now.  What are ya, some jerk?

15. No earmarking funds now whatever you do.

 to ask otherwise is presumptuous of you.

NIH micromanaged and politics too

Will set science back until 2002.

16. 105th congress now please don't forget,

       invest in the future for a solid bet.

       End "functional Laziness", put us to work,

       Get Mo for your dollars and we will not shirk.

17. Elected officials, they really do care.

But don't want to earmark to get us to there

Those NIH scientists know more than you boy,

 new labs free of politics are tough to deploy

18. With failure to cure  comes this awesome expense

That MEDICARE pays without making good sense.

 Please cure us now or we'll bankrupt this show

That's not a threat, only something we know .

19.  Like Mo in the nursing home we will relax.

 Sanctioned  and paid for  by the income tax.

If we act awful, they won't bring the net .

 Just start us on  Haldol  or stop Sinemet

Regards,
WHH 55/19