Good Mo...ning

In a message dated 10/26/98 9:43:58 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 The conference report language strengthens the
 other report language by stating that "Consistent
 with the enactment of the (Udall) Act, NIH is
 EXPECTED to utilize resources for research focused
 on Parkinson's disease..."  When Congress says
 "NIH is expected" to fund additional Parkinson's
 research, it is much stronger than merely
 encouraging that research be funded.

 Furthermore, the additional language includes a
 definition of what Congress understands
 Parkinson's-focused research to be: "where the
 principal focus of the research is the cause,
 pathogenesis, and/or potential therapies or
 treatment for Parkinson's disease."   This
 language is specifically included to address the
 documented NIH practice of including research
 totally unrelated to Parkinson's as part of their
 Parkinson's research portfolio.  This is also a
 major step forward.

 The first sentence of the conference report
 language states: "The conference agreement
 supports the fiscal year 1999 funding level
 proposed in NIH budget documents for Parkinson's
 disease."  This is a reference to NIH's published
 amount of $106 million for Parkinson's research in
 fiscal 1999.  This sentence is an attempt to "lock
 in" that funding figure my having Congress
 acknowledge and accept it.  The other sentences,
 discussed above, then attempt to ensure that ALL
 of that $106 million will be spent on
 Parkinson's-focused research, as defined.

 So does this mean $106 million will be spent on
 Parkinson's-focused research in 1999?  Probably
 not.  Despite this improved language, and our
 successes in raising Congressional awareness of
 Parkinson's, the NIH will likely continue is
 practice of including lots of so-called "related"
 research in its Parkinson's program.  It is our
 responsibility to continue to monitor the
 situation and continue to work with our supporters
 in Congress to require NIH to fulfill both the
 letter and the spirit of the Udall Act.

 To help us reach that end, five Senators
 participated in a colloquy - or a conversation
 included in the Congressional record -
 specifically detailing their concerns with NIH's
 current funding practices and stating
 Congressional intent to fully fund the Udall Act. >>

So, can we finally say "We won?"  It looks close enough to me.  Furthermore,
there is a friend of mine who has had researchers from the Mayo clinic go to
their home and investigate a "stiff" family member of a PWP--looking for multi
PWP kin.  They said that they could do this because of "extra money that had
recently become available."

It appears to me that there is just enough left to do to keep us together and
focused.  What is left is to insure the NIH isn't able to thwart the intent of
Congress.

However, as I read things:

WE WON, WE WON, WE WON, WHOOPEE!!!

Ya gotta celebrate these things when they happen.  They have been few and far
between.

Regards,
WHH 55/19/24 (estimated lifetime years with PD)