Jamie -- I wish I knew all the references you mention as "less
current." You did a lot of reading before your desert-island holiday!

An interesting book (about children as well as adults because about
literacy and the ways it's learned) is David Olson's The World
on Paper: The Conceptual and Cognitive Implications of
Writing and Reading. He talks about literacy as a cultural phenomenon,
and points out how the use of writing instead of speech requires
development of lexical and syntactic devices, also genre and rhetoric,
to restore signals about "how to take" statements. His last chapters
talk about what people need to conceptualize in order to differentiate
among signals (i.e. do critical reading). He's good at giving
historical sketches, though his empirical data from individuals
seem a little thin. The book is good reading--lots of pictures, even.
It's published by Cambridge UP, 1994.

Look forward to hearing what other suggestions you get (more on topic,
you can hope).

Cheers,

Margaret.

--

(Dr.) Margaret Procter                  Room 216, 15 King's College Circle
Coordinator, Writing Support            Toronto, Ontario M5S 3H7