Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 15:47:16 +0000
From: Ruth Evans <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: MLA performance session left off program

Dear Listmembers

A Special Session I'm organizing at this year's MLA in SF has got left off
the programme. It will appear in the Program Update, but here is the
information about its content, as some of you may be interested in
attending. I don't yet know when the session is scheduled, but I'll update
you as soon as I find out from the organizers.

Ruth Evans
Cardiff University

The Special Session is entitled 'Performance Texts in their Literary
Environment'

Division: Middle English Literature, excluding Chaucer

Presider: Ruth Evans, Cardiff University, Wales, UK

1st paper: 'Legal Documents as Literary Performance'
Speaker:   Emily Steiner, Dept of Medieval Studies, Yale University

2nd paper: 'When the King Harps on a Subject...: Power and Performance in
_Sir            Orfeo_'
Speaker:   Christine Chism, Rutgers University

3rd paper: 'Negotiating Poetry: Deschamps Reading Machaut at the
Anglo-French Treaty             Negotiations of 1375'
Speaker:   Joyce Coleman, University of North Dakota

There are 3 participants, and it is a Formal Session not a Roundtable.