Ivan, you should move to Florida, they found a local politician, getting paid
$39,000 a year
for a "ghost job" a position she never filled, never showed up, just got a
paycheck from the Port of Miami!  It is so sad it is funny, I don't know how
long this went on, and don't want to know!  Re: your caregiver situation, my
mother was paying $10 an hour for help with dad, and still had problems
getting reliable people, who were also capable.  You might try calling local
churches, they might know of people who are looking for work and not getting
unemployment benefits.  I don't know how it is in Maine, but in Florida it is
more attractive to collect unemployment, than to accept a low wage or part
time job.  Have you thought about offering free room and board, in exchange
for caregiving duties, if you have an extra room, that might help attract more
candidates.  I hope the situation improves for you.
Ken B