Robin and All the Rest of Ya <smile>

Yesterday (Sunday) when I initially read the Parade article I felt
the author and/or the editors had  sugar-coated what "life after
Parkinson's" is REALLY like.

 However, after rereading the article once again it dawned on me that
the author mentioned not only the "beneficial" points in his life
(that frustrating ol sugar-coating at work....) with PD, but also had
mentioned, kinda in passing, that while pre-PD he'd been in a high
powered, highly respected job which he loved, he was no longer
working due to the disease.

The author sort of "excused" his loss of employment by commenting he
now had time for other projects and hobbies, but added he can no
longer participate in as many of those spheres as he used to because
of PD-caused limitations.

All in all, my rereading caused me to conclude that this was NOT a
positive message about living with Parkinson's disease.   Rather is
was a sad message from a once-dynamic individual whose life, if not
his attitude, has been severely impacted, and NOT in a positive way,
by being the unwilling "host" of this devastating disease.

It is my hope that the general public, in reading the Parade article
will not only interpret the author's comments in the above manner,
but will also read between the lines and note that life with PD AIN'T
the bed of roses that the article tends to indicate it is.

GAWD, I HATE this steeeeeeenkin' disease!  It's TERRIBLE that we feel
it's necessary to justify to the world how that Parkinson's is a
horrifying nightmare to live with and that the newly diagnosed are
not only younger than in past years, but are ALSO increasing rapidly.

Barb Mallut