Andy Blatz wrote:

> Dear All,
> Periodically, someone has a question about "electrical brain stimulation"
> for PD and other movement disorders.  Here is a simplified picture of the
> current state of the surgery:
>
> There are currently three types of "electrical brain stimulation for
> movement disorders".  The only current commercial source of the implanted
> device, which is essentially a high-powered heart pacemaker, is Medtronic
> Inc., although another company is currently preparing to enter the market.
>  All three implants may be placed unilaterally (one side of the brain to
> control symptoms on opposite side of body) or bilaterally (both sides of
> brain to control symptoms on both sides of body).  In all cases, the
> electrode is a flexible cable with four metal contacts at the end, which is
> guided into the brain using stereotactic techniques just like for ablative
> (destructive) surgery like pallidotomy and thalamotomy.  Either on the same
> day as the brain implant is performed or a few days later, the stimulator
> (about the size of a "Mint Patty" candy bar is surgically placed below the
> skin in the chest.   Although the goal of the stimulators is to stimulate,
> as opposed to destroy tissue, there is some tissue damage as the electrode
> is guided to the correct location deep inside the brain.  Nobody knows why
> it works.  The most accepted hypothesis is that the stimulating electrode
> over-stimulates nerve cells in the target area, which makes them incapable
> of functioning.  Thus, the results are very similar to destroying the
> cells, except that the stimulator can be turned off, unlike a heat lesion
> made in ablative surgery.  Depending on the amount of use, the batteries
> need changing (minor surgery) every few years.  The three different targets
> are:
>
> 1.      Thalamic Implant:  Stimulating electrode is placed into the thalamus.
>  Controls tremor only.  Approved in Europe and USA.
> 2.      Pallidal Implant:  Stimulating electrode is placed in the globus
> pallidus.  Controls dyskinesias, slowness, lack of movement, tremor.
>  Effects very similar to pallidotomy.  Approved in Europe, not in USA.
>  Clinical trials ongoing in USA.
> 3.      STN Implant:    Stimulating electrode is placed in the subthalamic nucleus
> (this is distinct from the thalamus).  Controls dyskinesias, slowness, lack
> of movement, tremor.  Effects similar to pallidotomy.  Approved in Europe,
> not in the USA.  Clinical trials ongoing in USA.
>
> There is currently debate as to whether the STN or the globus pallidus is
> the best spot to stimulate for major PD symptoms.  My guess is that all
> forms of stimulation will be approved in Europe and USA within one year.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Andy

I believe it will, and thanks a lot for your authoritative description.
I'd add one comment about turning the device off: This feature puts
the patient in charge, not only to conserve battery life but also to
use the stimulator only when he feels the need. Cheers,
Joe
--
J. R. Bruman   (818) 789-3694
3527 Cody Road