HI LIST.....

My dad  has cancer... The treated a manifestation inside his mouth several
months ago and he was almost finished radiation, when his back started
hurting.  This back pain went on un heeded and untreated for6-8 weeks until
he woke up one morning last week and couldn't walk.

A trip to the hospital and consultation with a neurologist and  testing
revealed multiple cancers on his spine.  basically most of his spine is
invaded.  they scheduled immediate surgery at Columbia Presbyterian hospital
in NYC, rushed him there from NJ and by 7pm  Friday nite he was having
spinal surgery.  they removed three of his vertebrae that were creating
pressure and causing neurological damage. they replace them with titanium
and inserted a rod in there as well for support. 9 hours of surgery.
within a 1/2 hour of surgery we were allowed to see him and he could speak
and knew that we were there.  three hours later he was able to recognize us
and talk coherently.  that evening he was able to almost feed himself.  the
very next day, Sunday, he was sitting up fully and by evening he was feeding
him self!  Monday he was fitted for an orthotic  brace which he put on
today.  and then proceeded to get out of bed and into a chair, where he ate
lunch and then again into the chair for dinner.
tomorrow (5 days later) he will walk.....

This man( my father) should be an inspiration to us all.  the strength, the
courage and the power.  What an amazing man.  His biggest battle is yet to
come.  There is a very large tumor in his neck and more on his lower back.
these will be treated with radiation and chemo.

what I gained from this terrible experience is a family and a father.  we
were able to sit and talk and find out who we both were and are and why.  He
got to meet his daughter the artist. ( he never knew her)  and I got to meet
my dad the incredible warrior and spirited soul.  I got to tell him that I
love him and also spent time with my mother and brother and got close with
them again.  It was an awful weekend, flying into NYC from my home in the
virgin islands, not sleeping for several days and crying my heart out over
my dad.

so If any one is feeling down and bummed out. think about my dad and  the
power he summoned up from his core to persevere and kick ass!  (a very
special thank you to the team of doctors and neuros and all who did this
amazing surgical procedure at Colombia/Presbyterian ,these guys ARE THE BEST
IN THE WORLD!