--------------E2A2D8A61E1A6F4F1C024544

Ruth Clark + Robin,

My understanding is the same as yours about STN stimulation.  I wonder whether
STN is getting confused with the more generic  term of  deep brain stimulation
(DBS).  There are 3 locations in the brain (which I am aware of) that
stimulators are being used for treatment of PD-

1- the thalamus-  which is useful for tremor and is to my knowledge the only
FDA approved use of the stimulator.  I believe that means that any trained
neurosurgeon is able to do the procedure and get reimbursed by insurance or
Medicare.
2- the globus pallidum (which is essentially a reversible and adjustable
palidotomy)
3- and the subthalamic nucleus.

The later 2 are considered experimental.  I am not sure whether surgeons other
than those specifically designated by the FDA to research this use can legally
use the stimulator for STN or GP stimulation.  The later 2 locations are useful
for bradykinesia and dyskinesia.  The most recent data come from a group in
France which has published the article in the New England Journal of Medicine
2 weeks ago giving extremely promising results.  There however is some
increased risk of  stroke (over a palidotomy)  in the Subthalamic procedure
since that area of the brain is more vascular and closer to vital structures.

I spoke with one of the FDA authorized  neurosurgeons Dr. Penn at
Rush-Presbyterian in Chicago.  His numbers of STN and GP procedures done are
quite small but no one in the US has significant numbers of STN procedures).
The early indications are that it is relatively safe and helpful.

Like you Joan, I am quite interested in writing or talking with anyone who has
had the STN procedure since I am seriously considering it for myself.

If anyone has any conflicting or additional information please let me know.
Also I would check carefully to see if the center that you are considering
going to for STN a stimulator evaluation is in fact doing STN and not just
thalamic stimulation. (unless your symptoms are primarily tremor)

Charlie

Charles T. Meyer, MD
Middleton (Madison), Wisconsin

Go Packers   beat Pittsburgh (Sorry Jim Cordy)

Go Badgers- Beat Michigan

".Joan Waterman" wrote:

> Robin,
>
> Again I'm confused!  I thought it was made clear less than a week ago, that
> the STNDBS was NOT approved yet by FDA and was only being done still as an
> experiment.  I was clearly under the impression that it was being done as a
> thalmic implant and only for tremors.  When did all these centers suddenly
> receive approval for the STN implant?
>
> I was supposed to be notified when Mayo-Jacksonville was ok'd, but I have
> heard nothing about it from them.  I do have another appointment there this
> month, so surely they will tell me something then.
>
> I would certainly like to hear from some of those PWPS who have had the
> subthalmic implant as to the success/failures of this DBS.
>
> Ruth Clark 67/9

--------------E2A2D8A61E1A6F4F1C024544

Ruth Clark + Robin,
wonder whether STN is getting confused with the more generic&nbsp; term
of&nbsp; deep brain stimulation (DBS).&nbsp; There are 3 locations in the
brain (which I am aware of) that stimulators are being used for treatment
of PD-
knowledge the only FDA approved use of the stimulator.&nbsp; I believe
that means that any trained neurosurgeon is able to do the procedure and
get reimbursed by insurance or Medicare.
adjustable palidotomy)
surgeons other than those specifically designated by the FDA to research
this use can legally use the stimulator for STN or GP stimulation.&nbsp;
The later 2 locations are useful for bradykinesia and dyskinesia.&nbsp;
The most recent data come from a group in France which has published the
article in the <i>New England Journal of Medicine</i>&nbsp; 2 weeks ago
giving extremely promising results.&nbsp; There however is some increased
risk of&nbsp; stroke (over a palidotomy)&nbsp; in the Subthalamic procedure
since that area of the brain is more vascular and closer to vital structures.
at <i>Rush-Presbyterian</i> in Chicago.&nbsp; His numbers of STN and GP
procedures done are quite small but no one in the US has significant numbers
of STN procedures).&nbsp; The early indications are that it is relatively
safe and helpful.
who has had the STN procedure since I am seriously considering it for myself.&nbsp;
know. Also I would check carefully to see if the center that you are considering
going to for STN a stimulator evaluation is in fact doing STN and not just
thalamic stimulation. (unless your symptoms are primarily tremor)
ago, that
as an
done as a
suddenly