--------------9BA44836D6F30D70DC1695E7

Thanks for your reply Joao,

I'm glad you added other fundamentalists..  In my statement I really
meant any  fundamentalism whether it be the US Christian Right which is
so opposed to this type of research or Muslim groups Hamas, or the
Ayatollah,  or the Right Wing  Israeli parties who look at others who
don't believe as they do- especially other less-observent Jews- as a
lower form of life.   or the Red Guard experience in China.  The danger
is any group which feels it has a divine right or mission to control
those around them.

Charlie

Joao Paulo Carvalho wrote:

> Hi Charles ,
>
> All I can say is that you just "took the words from my mouth" ....
> It seems we are living in a world of the "Aitholah's times"  (xiitas
> moslem) rules and a exaggerated spread of mysticism and fanaticism . A
> drawback to the black ages mentality ?!
>
> Regards,
>
> "Charles T. Meyer, M.D." wrote:
>
>> Larry and list members,
>>
>> It is my understanding that it was necessary for the funds to come
>> from non-govenmental sources because the Stem cells come from embryo
>> research (the original cells are obtained from an embryo used in in
>> vitro fertilization) which is specifically forbidden to be used in
>> federally funded research.  Imagine if the full resources of federal
>> grants could have been used.  Just possibly the stem cell research
>> might have progressed faster and been of benefit to many more of us
>> years sooner.  Many of us don't have 10 years (the figure I have
>> heard )  to wait for the research to come up with a practical way to
>> use these cells.  And, progress from this point on will also likely
>> be impeded by the rules spawned by those people who limit embryo
>> research. I would assume Udall money could not be used to exploit
>> this breakthrough (which I predict will result in a Nobel Prize for
>> the researcher Dr. Thomson).
>>
>> Larry,  I am glad that private industry was able to jump into this
>> and fund the research but it isn't a victory for unbridled
>> capitalism against Federally funded research.  The method of
>> funding- from my reading was necessitated by those who repeatedly
>> try to impose their morality  and world view on the rest of us.  The
>> mentality that brought us such progress as the Crusades, the
>> Inquisition, the Salem witch trials and tacitly encourages the
>> terrorist  murder of a physician in Buffalo or a gay man in Wyoming
>> because they are violating the true interpretation of God's law will
>> fight this breakthrough tooth and nail.  We need to be ready to
>> support our researchers and not shy away from the political fight
>> which  will undoubtedly interfere with funding research which has a
>> good chance of finding the cure for PD.
>>
>> If we let the Right Wing fanatics determine our research priorities
>> as if they were the interpreters of the Laws of God and Nature,  I
>> want to take this opportunity to say good-bye to all our friends
>> from Down under since under their laws that keep you from falling
>> off this flat,  geocentric, world are about to be repealed by the
>> Christian Coalition.
>

>    +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +
>    +--------| Salvador-Bahia-Brazil |------+

--------------9BA44836D6F30D70DC1695E7

Thanks for your reply Joao,
meant any&nbsp; fundamentalism whether it be the US Christian Right which
is so opposed to this type of research or Muslim groups Hamas, or the Ayatollah,&nbsp;
or the Right Wing&nbsp; Israeli parties who look at others who don't believe
as they do- especially other less-observent Jews- as a lower form of life.&nbsp;&nbsp;
or the Red Guard experience in China.&nbsp; The danger is any group which
feels it has a divine right or mission to control those around them.
moslem) rules and a exaggerated spread of mysticism and fanaticism . A
drawback to the black ages mentality ?!
non-govenmental sources because the Stem cells come from embryo research
(the original cells are obtained from an embryo used in <i>in vitro</i>
fertilization) which is specifically forbidden to be used in federally
funded research.&nbsp; Imagine if the full resources of federal grants
could have been used.&nbsp; Just possibly the stem cell research might
have progressed faster and been of benefit to many more of us years sooner.&nbsp;
Many of us don't have 10 years (the figure I have heard )&nbsp; to wait
for the research to come up with a practical way to use these cells.&nbsp;
And, progress from this point on will also likely be impeded by the rules
spawned by those people who limit embryo research. I would assume Udall
money could not be used to exploit this breakthrough (which I predict will
result in a Nobel Prize for the researcher Dr. Thomson).
and fund the research but it isn't a victory for unbridled capitalism against
Federally funded research.&nbsp; The method of funding- from my reading
was necessitated by those who repeatedly try to impose their morality&nbsp;
and world view on the rest of us.&nbsp; The mentality that brought us such
progress as the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Salem witch trials and tacitly
encourages the terrorist&nbsp; murder of a physician in Buffalo or a gay
man in Wyoming because they are violating the true interpretation of God's
law will fight this breakthrough tooth and nail.&nbsp; We need to be ready
to support our researchers and not shy away from the political fight which&nbsp;
will undoubtedly interfere with funding research which has a good chance
of finding the cure for PD.
as if they were the interpreters of the Laws of God and Nature,&nbsp; I
want to take this opportunity to say good-bye to all our friends from Down
under since under their laws that keep you from falling off this flat,&nbsp;
geocentric, world are about to be repealed by the Christian Coalition.</blockquote>

--------------9BA44836D6F30D70DC1695E7--