Barb has really started something.  Her "Parkies On the Town" evenings are
becoming magnets for PWP's in the Los Angeles area.  And she's pulled this
off charmingly with little apparent effort.

So consider trying this in your own community, though without the
incomparable Ms.Mallut, it  would have to be an approximation.

She simply makes a few phone calls to some modestly-priced restaurants,
making sure there's convenient parking and accessibility, and asks them to
hold a large table for us.   She emails a Barbaraesque announcement
including directions to the person putting out our monthly bulletin (which
is myost, who's always running late... but  sprints with the 200 flyers to
the mailbox with seconds to spare).

Then on the first Saturday evening of the month,  she shows up early all
dolled up, and plants her "PD" sign on the reserved table.   Los Angelinos
assume that's a reference to Police Department, so they clear away rather
quickly, giving us breathing room. (Just kidding.    I think.)  Then people
show up.  There are some regulars but the size of the gang, including
caregivers of course,  is  unpredictable.  Last month we numbered 25.   We
order supper, laugh and have a great time,  keep our dyskinetic neighbors
from falling into the soup, and divvy up the check.   Everyone sincerely
thanks hostess Barbara.

November's On the Town is tonight:
El Paso Bar B Q
18948 Ventura Blvd.
Tarzana
7:00 pm

Of course we do tell people in each restaurant what "PD" means.  So a
satisfying "side effect" of Barb's venture is to raise awareness of
Parkinson's Disease.  Naturally she's expanding her efforts to a Lunch
Bunch once a month. Brava, Barbara Mallut!

Mary Yost, 50/ diag. 1990, sinemet, mirapex, tasmar and an occasional dram
of champagne