Hi

The Ensure type drinks come in several "flavors" from citrus type to milk
shake variety........Mother doesn't like milk shakes but will drink the citrus
ones.....seems that I remember that they are about 500 calories for a small
container.  Mother is offered one of these drinks as a mid morning snack as
well as an afternoon snack at the nursing home..........It did help with
weight loss for a time, now she refuses these drinks also most of the time, or
has only a few sips (non Parkinson's patient and she is slowly dying from
other causes).  Your hospital dietician probably has several brands of these
drinks available for you/your mother to select from.  Have you spoken with the
dietician re: your Mom's diet?   If she is having memory loss.....have you
tried a clear cup with a lid and straw........My mother did not recognize a
solid cup or pitcher as having liquid in it and would not remember to drink
unless told.  When we replaced this with translucent containers where she
could see the liquid, she would sometimes drink without suggestion from staff
or visitors.

You comment that your mom has lost a lot of weight in a short time....is she
dehydrated?  If you pinch the skin on the back of her hand does it "stay
pinched" after you release your fingers?   This is a simple way to check for
low fluids.......

Rita Weeks 54/9