This message is prompted by the comments made by Ivan re: salary of
nursing/home health aid assistants and also the responses of some persons to
Ivan.

Since my Mother has been in a nursing home for the past year, I have learned
much re: problems being faced by the community in need of caregivers.

Mother is currently in a nursing home in Rochester, MN (she is private pay,
she is not medicaid as if that would make a difference)......This skilled care
facility is UNABLE to hire nursing assistants for the evening shift (it is
what we think of as the 3-11 pm shift, however, I think the hours are slightly
different in this day and age). I believe that these positions have been
posted/advertised for more than 1 year.   As a result the nursing home has
empty beds (If memory serves correctly the number is 10 empty beds).  Patients
CANNOT be accepted for these spaces, because nursing care is not available to
meet the requirements of these individuals.  This is a loss to the nursing
home of more than $100 per day per bed.........presenting financial crisis for
the nursing home also.    As Ivan commented the economy is up and individuals
can (and will) accept positions at McDonald's  that pay more than caregiver
positions.  This particular shift is demanding physically because patients
need to be put to bed for the night.....lifting, moving, assisting and lots of
hands on care........Volunteers cannot be used for these positions because of
insurance liabilities (what if a patient were dropped by a volunteer?).
Volunteers are used to assist with feeding/serving in the dining room and to
help with transportation to MD appts, hospital visits, treatments etc away
from the nursing home.  Regulations are in place to protect the
health/security of the patient....for instance a volunteer hairdresser can set
and comb out a residents hair, but cannot wash hair, that must be done by
staff).  Seniors looking for caregiving jobs must be strong (heavy lifting).
Young marrieds wanting a second job/employments want to be home with family at
these hours.  Ivan is facing a personal crisis, but the country is facing a
crisis in this area also......we simply don't hear about it until we are faced
with the need....or it is a "not me attitude".

Last week I spoke with the Indiana State Board of Health (we are following
through with complaints filed against the nursing home my mother was in in
Indiana).  The RN at the ISBH said to me......these problems occur because the
industry in Indiana is in crisis state because of the lack of available
staffing.  Salaries are so low that employees cannot be hired or retained.
Only more reinforcement for what I was hearing from Minnesota (and now from
Maine).

Every day I am developing more of an understanding that our problems are not
just medical problems.   We are so focussed on what the next drug will do that
we are missing the big picture (are we not seeing the forest for the trees?).
At the time that we are faced with the crisis of home health/practical
nursing/nursing home space we are so exhausted by the process of attaining
that position that we have no energy to fight the battle that needs to be
fought in society to overcome these challenges. As PWP and families, we are so
exhausted by our own challenges (physical and emotional) that we don't want to
take on the complex challenges that surround us. But they are a part of PD and
we are going to have to fight these battles eventually as the solitary warrior
Ivan is doing this weekend.  There is more to success in this battle than the
Udall bill.  There is more to success in this battle than having a meal with
no stains down my shirt front.  There is more to success in this battle than
four hours of "on" time from medication or the finding the link to environment
and onset age.

Rita Weeks 54/9