List members;

The cigarette companies are at it again.  This article does not provide
significant new information. What they have done is sponsored research where
they know the data will get to the lay public.  It is designed to do is give
ambivalent smokers a justification to continue smoking.  Yes there are some
positive effects of nicotine and therefore smoking. If you feel that your PD
gets worse when you stop smoking get nicotine patches to use.  The dose is
better controlled ,

Any drug- or treatment requires the possible risks be weighed against the
benefits.  With smoking it isn't even close.  The risks outweigh the
possible benefits by a wide margin. They have a concerted program to help
smokers justify (rationalize) continued smoking and this article appears to
me to be an example of that.  I don't question its accuracy only the motives
of sponsoring and publishing the research,

Charles T. Meyer, MD.