Dear Dr. Olson,

I'd rather debate this on a first name basis- as a fellow PWP and health sciences
professional but if you prefer to be more formal I will do so.

I am sorry to hear about the problems you went through with your schizophrenic first
wife and your daughter's pregnancy which was terminated.  While from my viewpoint it was
a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances,  I can appreciate- coming from the
strong right to life position that you do- you must feel tremendous guilt and pain.  I
guess I feel that it is not my place to tell you how you should feel.  That is between
you, and your God-  no matter how you conceptualize Him.  I can't tell you what to feel
but I can let you know what I think.. But the ultimate solution has to be between you
and your God.

In the same way if my daughter had an abortion that I participated in,  my participation
would need to be resolved between me and my daughter and me and my God.  It is no body
else's business .

Unfortunately there is no clear time when HUMAN life begins.  I cannot believe that a
single cell zygote, or a 3 month fetus is a person with the same humanity as a 3 year
old child.. Society is severely divided over the issue.  You certainly have the right to
try to convince me of your position if I am willing to listen.  You may even feel you
have the duty to try. I can accept that.  When, however you interfere with a woman's
choice to have an abortion you interfere with her right to come to her resolution of her
relationship with God.  In a pluralistic society this come close to my definition of
SIN.

I appreciate the desire to limit the possibility that others would go through the same
experience that you had to endure but you need to realize that limiting others' options
is not your duty or even your right.  If I choose options that by your view is sending
me to eternal damnation and I don't want to listen to you it is MY PROBLEM.  I do
recognize that if you believe that am committing murder that gives you added urgency but
please try to realize that many of us from different backgrounds don't see it that way.

Perhaps I can use some examples  that might hit home.  I presume you were a vet in the
USDA involved in meat inspection.  Animal rights people attack you as a murder of
defenseless life.  Do they have the right to stop you from doing your job which you see
as providing safe meat for our tables? From their position you  are a murderer. If you
are participating in the distribution of pork products you are conceivably violating
Hebraic and Muslim law.

You bring up another point about assisted suicide.  When life is at its terminal phases
medical science often has in its power to prolong pain and suffering of both the dying
individual and their family for years.  MY death is between God, me, my family and my
physician.  I have a living will and my wife knows what my preferences  are if I am
unable to make the choice.  Every day in every hospital decisions are made as to whether
to prolong life.  One of the greatest obscenities in recent months was when the Governor
of Virginia-  playing to his far right constituency inserted himself in between a dying
patient,  his family and his doctor attempting to "protect" the dying man from his evil
family and doctors.

Dr. Olson,  I hope and pray that your faith relieves the guilt that you harbor and that
you don't  torture yourself.  I won't try and interfere with your relationship with your
God but please don't try to interfere with mine  and please don't sanction the
interference in fetal cell research.

I wish you well.

Charlie

CT Meyer, MD