<< We may be on the proverbial
 slippery slope becoming more and more the society of death. Who will
 protect all of us Parkinsonians from those who think we are becoming too
 costly for the system to bear. We may find ourselves targeted for death
 without our permission. Our best opportunity to reverse this trend is
 having more respect for all life.

I disagree with some of your message and I agree with some. The above
paragraph stirred a thought that followes a differant path than the train of
thought your message expressed. But it's a thought I'd like to express by
this, my  response.

I for one am not as worried about being the target for death without
permission, as I am about being kept alive against my will - imprisoned by my
own body - like Mo Udall has been foe several years now. And like so many
PWP' are that we don't even know. I agree, our best opportunity, no..'our
greatest need' is to cling to any little bit of respect we can -  our human
dignity, from the grip of PD for as long as we can. The clock is ticking.. We
have not done anything to deserve getting PD. But the PD monster seems to
enjoy stripping us, inch by inch,of  our human dignity, encouraging non-PD
society to treat us as less worthy, or we are passed  over, or put away---
there is a oss of respect for the life of a PWP.

We must coninue to try to educate others about the disease. However,
consequences of societal rejection are not limited to rejection by the non-PD
community. Some of us 'Udall Bill Advocates" have - not meaning to - exploited
"one of our own". So  many of us, somehow managed to do alot of things in the
name of "the Udall Bill".But it seems, not meaning to, we have forgotten Mo
Udall the person. Mo Udall -. It took him his lifetime to earn his good
reputation, his "good name"  --- his good name that his family permitted us to
use - when we had no one else, with whom the public could relate, who would
stand by us, when we had little reason for hope.  I suppose this is just a
long-winded way of asking "What are we doing to express our respect and
gratitude to Mo Udall and his family for all they've done. The gift of hope is
a gift of life to some of us.. Mo Udall and his family deserve letters of
thanks from us. If permited, some of us might individually visit Mo in his
hospital room. Maybe, just maybe, he might hear us. He might somehow
understand that we are grateful to him and to his family for having given us
an avenue to take, a means to fight back, to organize, to reach out and to
beecome friends with our 'parkie' family, and to respect each other and
understand each other when the non-PD world doesm't anymore. Maybe, just
maybe, we can show our respect and our love for a man most of us have never
met.. but to whom we owe so much.

Maryhelen