Hillary asked:

>Aa very significant document in the history of Mankind. Does
> anybody know who the actual authors were?

As with many documents of this kind, there is not one author, but a
consensus hammered out through countless discussions and meetings.

Below is information about its origins from Amnesty International Canadian
Section. If anyone would like a plain language version of the Declaration I
would be glad to send it via email. Let me know privately at

====================

Origins [of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights]

In the aftermath of World War 11, when the atrocities committed during that
conflict were beginning to be fully realized, the world reacted in horror.
The carnage and loss from two world wars, especially the murder of millions
of 'undesirables' by Hitler's Nazi regime, led to a call for international
action.  It was agreed that such sorrow should never be allowed to happen
again human rights must be respected.  Thus, a United Nations Human Rights
Commission, chaired by Eleanor Roosevelt, was given the tremendous task of
drafting a document which could satisfy the hopes of the diverse cultures
and political systems of the General Assembly of the United Nations, (with a
membership of 48 states at that time).  Three years of discussion resulted
in the "Universal Declaration of Human Rights" (UDHM in 1948 - a statement
to the whole world about how all peoples, organizations and governments
should behave towards each other.

Canada made a significant contribution to this achievement in the work of
Dr. John Humphrey, a Canadian law professor, the first executive secretary
of the Human Rights Division of the United Nations, and one of the founders
of Amnesty International Canada.  Dr. Humphrey's task was to prepare a draft
of the Universal Declaration from the ideas submitted to the committee by
many individuals and nongovernmental organizations in addition to those from
member states.  He stressed before he died in March 1995, that there was no
single author of the Declaration, and that hundreds of people contributed to
this international declaration.  John Humphrey believed that no contemporary
international document. even the Charter of the United Nations, has had more
impact or moral authority than the Universal Declaration.  The challenge is
for all of us to find ways of enforcing the standards set In the UDHR.  It
is the responsibility of every individual, and every government, to honour
this Declaration in order to safeguard freedom and justice.

IMPLICATIONS

The acceptance of the UDHR in 1948 signified a great step forward in the
respect of human rights.  This document set the basis for all other human
rights law.  It was followed by numerous other far-reaching human rights
agreements including the 'UN Convention on the Rights of the Child" and the
"UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination Against
Women". to name but two, as well as regional international human rights
agreements such as the African Charter on Human and Peoples' Rights and the
American Convention on Human Rights.

Although the UDHR is only a declaration and not legally binding, two
covenants have been drafted and entered into force in 1976.  These are the
'International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights" (ICCPR) and the
'International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights" (ICESCR).
In these two covenants, the rights outlined In the Universal Declaration are
made more specific.  Countries signing these two documents are bound by
international law to comply with their commitments to human rights.

It is these three documents - the UDHR and the two legally-binding
Covenants - that form the basis for the work of Amnesty International.
Although we promote the human rights found in the whole UDHR, including the
Economic, Social and Cultural Covenant, we take direct action only on some
of the rights found within the ICCPR.  Promotion within Amnesty
International includes education, public awareness and condemnation of
violations, but not direct action.  Direct action entails the opposing of a
human rights violation by requesting the perpetrator, whether it's a
government or an opposition group, to make a specific change in order to
respect the rights in question.  This may happen on a case-by-case basis or
when a pattern of abuse becomes apparent.

Regardless of whether or not a country has recognized the UDHR or signed the
two Covenants, the International community still considers these documents
to be international principles that all people should respect.  Thus, the
human rights contained within these documents are considered universal.

Best to everyone,

Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]