Thanks, Peter.
Why I asked was because my parents told me - and I don't know where they got
this from, except they were there at the time, and probably read it in the
newspapers- they told me that the then South African Prime MInister, Jan
Smuts, was one of the principal authors. He was a prominent philosopher as
well as politician, but in view of South Africa's political history over the
next 30 or so years, I found it somewhat incongruous.  South Africa and human
rights just didn't seem to belong together in the same sentence.. So I was
sort of hoping someone could confirm or deny this.

Hilary Blue

Peter Kidd wrote:

> Hillary asked:
>
> >Aa very significant document in the history of Mankind. Does
> > anybody know who the actual authors were?
>
> As with many documents of this kind, there is not one author, but a
> consensus hammered out through countless discussions and meetings.
>
> Below is information about its origins from Amnesty International Canadian
> Section. If anyone would like a plain language version of the Declaration I
> would be glad to send it via email. Let me know privately at

 many individuals and nongovernmental organizations in addition to those from