List,

There is reason to be optimistic.
You were an important part of this.  I am concerned by what might be seen as a
need for guilt.  There is no need to be so hard on society or ourselves.
After all, we got (are in the process of getting) the fundamentals of the Mo
passed.  We have been able to turn the attitude from "Tighten your research
belts" to "Invest in research for a good deal."  Don't be so  hard on the good
times. Remember the real enemy.

Furthermore, we need all of us.  Your continued vigilance is needed to help
insure the NIH doesn't again put us on the back burner.

I wanted to share this cut from a much earlier e-mail.  It goes without saying
that this gentleman got there (as did Representative Udall) not because we
used his name on "our bill" but because of this dreadful disease.  I do not
think the real Mo feels diminished because we were activists using his name .
On the contrary, I bet he knows and is thinking "Go for it!!".  In some
circumstances (and this is one) we have met the enemy and they is not us (to
sort of paraphrase Pogo)

3.  In a message dated 5/31/98 10:43:24 PM Central Daylight Time,
writes:

<<
 Are you (or anyone else in our PD group) aware of whether people with PD are
 eventually put on respirators because of this? >>

I have seen a chap in a hospital/nursing home with what I would call "end
stage PD."  This unfortunate gentleman was curled up in the fetal position and
couldn't move at all as far as I could tell.  He was breathing without a
respirator though.

Regards,
WHH 54/18

PS: Yes, I saw my own face of fear in his.