Tasmar is an adjunctive treatment added to levodopa/carbidoa therapy.  Usually
when Tasmar is added the daily dose of Sinemet is reduced.  Tasmar inhibits an
enzyme called COMT, both outside brain and inside the brain.   This enzyme
breaks down levodopa so that it can not create dopamine...our target
nuerotransmitter.  If we can inhibit the enzyme that breaks down levodopa to
an inactive by-product, then we can increase the amount of levodopa AVAILABLE
to produce dopamine in the brain.

The ultimate goal is to attempt to use Sinemet at the lowest dose possible as
long as we can so that we can use Sinemet for a longer period of time.  Tasmar
and the agonist do just that by allowing us to decrease the dose of Sinemet
when these agents are used.  Or with Mirapex, save Sinemet for later.

Hope this helps explain Tasmar,

Dominic