Charlie Meyer wrote

"A zygote and a fetus are potential human life and that shouldn't be taken
lightly.  But to take the position that they are human  puts us on a
different slippery slope which followed to its logical conclusion would have
severe adverse consequences to society- outlawing of certain types of birth
control and abortion,  millions of unwanted children,  poverty and
starvation and the general deterioration of the quality of life for the
living."

Charlie - you appear to be arguing that one of the criteria of being human
is that your existence will not cause problems for society.   Whatever
criteria are established for a definition of being human I hope and trust
that that is not one of them, as I suspect most of us on this list would
either have lost or be in the process of losing our status as human beings.

Whether zygotes and foetuses are human or not,  the consequences of not
aborting the unwanted ones remain the same.  I look forward to the day when
we acknowledge that abortion is a survival issue and that the real debate is
whether society is prepared to make an acception to "thy shalt not kill"
just as it does for wars, self defence, capital punishment etc.

Dennis.

Dennis Greene 49/onset 32 /dx 37

"It is better to be a crystal and be broken,
Than to be a perfect tile upon the housetop."

http://members.networx.net.au/~dennisg/