--------------563D3E6B387905D8858E4770

Listmembers:

Recently Barb Pattereson, requested that a discussion on the subject of
abortion and fetal research be cut short.  Barb and I have exchanged
e-mail on the broader issue of the limits of the list.   She has asked
me to bring the issue to the group for discussion and I think I can best
do that by excerpting our exchange.

     Barbara Patterson wrote:

       "Let's call  halt to the pro life / pro choice discussion.
     Each side
       believes deeply that it is the 'right' side.  We can agree
     to disagree on
       that topic.  Barb "

     I replied:

     "Dear Barb, I am concerned about the cutting off of
     discussion...(re abortion).  My first instinct was to leave
     the issue drop...With my sincere respect and appreciation of
     you, your viewpoints and all the work you have done it would
     be easier not to object especially since.  But,  I am
     concerned about any cutting off of legitimate debate no matter
     how controversial, as long as it is civil, generally
     respectful of others opinions,  not libelous or slanderous,
     isn't primarily commercial in nature and pertains to PD in
     some way . I recognize that you were trying to avoid discord
     and hurt feelings but serious issues often have well-meaning,
     intelligent people  at odds.  We can agree to disagree but
     then we give up the opportunity to grow and learn from
     persons  with whom we share a powerful common goal. Let me
     suggest that we bring to the whole list as a issue the
     question of the parameters of debate and when and how it
     should be  cut off. ...Charlie "Barb,

     Barbara Patterson wrote:
      Hi, Charlie.  ....  The only reason I   suggested we stop the
     discussion of pro choice/life is to prevent a flame  war.  It
     really is a hot topic!  ...  I certainly don't feel that my
     word and my word alone is law on the  list.  The list means
     too much to too many people for me to feel that I  can dictate
     anything.  It might be a good thing, as you say, to put the
     issue to the entire list for their feedback.  Would you like
     to do it?   With my consent/approval or whatever.  :) ... Barb

     I replied:

     You confirmed what I had inferred that you wanted to prevent a
     flame war. Flaming  has no place on this list.  If ever my
     posts approach "flames"  I expect you and the group to take me
     to task for it .Name calling serves no
     purpose.You never have been dictatorial in your approach to
     the list and it surprised  me that you were "aborting" (sorry
     I couldn't resist) discussion.  Its just that because of our
     respect for you and your position," When Barb Patterson talks
     everybody listens! " and what you say as a suggestion is heard
     as an edict. The ultimate responsibility for the list is yours
     as "the owner" and therefore it is appropriate you have the
     final say.  You graciously have always been open and rarely
     have exercised dictatorial control ( The one time I remember
     was throwing off a deceptive commercial interest and that was
     in consultation with group members). Your leadership and
     openness is appreciated.  ...Charlie Meyer

OK Now LIST  WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LIMITS OF DEBATE ON THIS LIST SHOULD
BE AND HOW SHOULD IT BE DETERMINED?

Charlie Meyer

--------------563D3E6B387905D8858E4770

Listmembers:
of abortion and fetal research be cut short.&nbsp; Barb and I have exchanged
e-mail on the broader issue of the limits of the list.&nbsp;&nbsp; She
has asked me to bring the issue to the group for discussion and I think
I can best do that by excerpting our exchange.
Each side</i>
agree to disagree on</i>

abortion).&nbsp; My first instinct was to leave the issue drop...With my
sincere respect and appreciation of you, your viewpoints and all the work
you have done it would be easier not to object especially since.&nbsp;
But,&nbsp; I am concerned about any cutting off of legitimate debate no
matter how controversial, as long as it is civil, generally respectful
of others opinions,&nbsp; not libelous or slanderous,&nbsp; isn't primarily
commercial in nature and pertains to PD in some way . I recognize that
you were trying to avoid discord and hurt feelings but serious issues often
have well-meaning, intelligent people&nbsp; at odds.&nbsp; We can agree
to disagree but then we give up the opportunity to grow and learn from
persons&nbsp; with whom we share a powerful common goal. Let me suggest
that we bring to the whole list as a issue the question of the parameters
of debate and when and how it should be&nbsp; cut off. ...Charlie "Barb,</i>
suggested we stop the discussion of pro choice/life is to prevent a flame&nbsp;
war.&nbsp; It really is a hot topic!&nbsp; ...&nbsp; I certainly don't
feel that my word and my word alone is law on the&nbsp; list.&nbsp; The
list means too much to too many people for me to feel that I&nbsp; can
dictate anything.&nbsp; It might be a good thing, as you say, to put the&nbsp;
issue to the entire list for their feedback.&nbsp; Would you like to do
it?&nbsp;&nbsp; With my consent/approval or whatever.&nbsp; :) ... Barb</i>
war. Flaming&nbsp; has no place on this list.&nbsp; If ever my posts approach
"flames"&nbsp; I expect you and the group to take me to task for it .Name
calling serves no</i>
list and it surprised&nbsp; me that you were "aborting" (sorry I couldn't
resist) discussion.&nbsp; Its just that because of our respect for you
and your position," <b>When Barb Patterson talks everybody listens! "</b>
and what you say as a suggestion is heard as an edict. The ultimate responsibility
for the list is yours as "the owner" and therefore it is appropriate you
have the final say.&nbsp; You graciously have always been open and rarely
have exercised dictatorial control ( The one time I remember was throwing
off a deceptive commercial interest and that was in consultation with group
members). Your leadership and openness is appreciated.&nbsp; ...Charlie
Meyer</i>
OK Now LIST&nbsp; <b>WHAT DO YOU THINK THE LIMITS OF DEBATE ON THIS LIST
SHOULD BE AND HOW SHOULD IT BE DETERMINED?</b>

--------------563D3E6B387905D8858E4770--