Dear Susan,

> I asked today about if mom was on a special diet or anything and the nurses
> said no just the regular food. Would one Ensure a day hurt her? I know
> there is a concern about too much protein. My mom seems to prefer liquidy
> stuff right now ( moist ). Is there a nutritional drink out there ( that I
> can get ) that is lower in protein?

Unless your mom is using levodopa (Sinemet, or its generic), she does
not need to worry about protein. If she is using levodopa, and
experiences motor fluctuations, then protein adjustment is necessary.
But I think her neurologist should determine whether she actually has
Parkinson's disease, whether she has motor fluctuations, and if/whether
Sinemet is working for her.

I do not like to adjust my clients' protein unless it is really
necessary. Until that point, it's more important that they eat
sufficient food to maintain a proper weight, drink enough fluids to
maintain a well-hydrated status, and get plenty of fiber, calcium and
vitamin D, to maintain bowel health and strong bones.

I hope your mom will see her neurologist soon, and that her medications
are or will be titrated for her individual needs.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne
--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD