Just a short note (in a somewhat jet-lagged state) to report that my
new bride and I have just returned from three weeks on an exotic and
wonderful professional and honeymoon trip.

Ilene L. Dillon (a psychotherapist) and I were married on October 18,
1998, and on the 20th, we left for Beijing, China, where we were both
guests of the China Rehabilitation Research Center at a Symposium on
Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation.  Aside from the presentations,
which included professionals from China, Japan, Canada, Australia, and
the USA, we were taken on the complete "tourism thing", including
visits to the great temples, the Summer Palace, the Forbidden City
(where the film "The Last Emperor" was filmed), the Great Wall of
China; this along with veritable feasts of Chinese cuisine and
cultural education.  The final banquet for the Symposium was at the
Great Hall of the People, in Tian An Men Square, this as guests of the
Chinese Government.

A great deal of what is often reported about "Chinese Communism" is
not what it is reputed to be.  The people are, by many Asian
standards, relatively free, the economy is booming (thanks to more
connection with Japan and the West); the culture is amazing and the
Chinese are warm and very positive towards Americans.  The downside of
Beijing is the teeming population (11 million in the city and 20
million in the metropolitan area), the horrendous air pollution (from
millions of cars), and the crush of humanity makes travelling even a
few short blocks an exercise in frustration.  The vehicle is "king",
the bicyclist (of which there are many) is second, and the pedestrian
is expendable, as cars make U-turns in the middle of the block across
four lanes of traffic.

China is making great progress as a "developing country".  I made some
really positive connections during our visit there, and I have been
appointed a "Visiting Professor" with plans to return again soon.  My
wife, likewise, has made inroads in psychological concepts (western
psychological ideas are rare thusfar) and her work with aspects of
anger, denial, and depression in people with physical disabilities was
of great interest to her Chinese counterparts.

After two weeks in China, we spent the final week of our trip in a
beach cottage on the north shore of Kauai, Hawaii, where we reverted
to a vegetative state for a "real" vacation.  It is back to work now;
but this has been a real odyssey in many ways.

Best to all,

Bob

ROBERT A. FINK, M. D., F.A.C.S.
Neurological Surgery
2500 Milvia Street  Suite 222
Berkeley, CA  94704-2636  USA
Phone:  (510) 849-2555   FAX:  (510) 849-2557

WWW:  <http://www.dovecom.com/rafink/>

mailto:[log in to unmask]

"Ex Tristitia Virtus"