Hi everyone,

I had begun to write a few thoughts on this subject when it first arose
(prompted by Bill Harrington's original email on the subject). My purpose
was mainly to pass on some reflections about what the Parkinson community
here in Halifax did to support the start-up of a neural/fetal research
program. (Now in Phase II, the neural transplantation program is being
conducted by researchers, led by Dr Ivar Mendez, at the Dalhousie University
Medical School and the Queen Elizabeth II Health Science Centre and is the
only program of its kind in Canada).

However, I left my reply in draft form and unsent. Now after some very
interesting exchanges which I think will help all of us understand the
issues, I want to add only a brief comment or two.

Bob Martone's document used with members of the U.S. Congress covers the
issues very well and follows many of the same arguments we raised in the
early 1990s here in Halifax when the proposed neural transplantation program
was attacked by the pro-life community. I believe it is very important to
separate the two issues of abortion as a health, social and moral issue from
that of neural/fetal medical research. It is always too easy to confuse
these issues.

Abortion is and will continue to be a controversial issues and a difficult
one for many good people in our **pluralistic society**. Other writers on
this topic have used that term (Charlie Myers, I think) and it is, I
believe, a quite fundamental assumption for many countries including Canada
and the United States. To the extent that we are civilized, it is a measure
of our civilization that it is tolerant and capable of accepting diverse
opinions and beliefs.

In Nova Scotia we faced all of the usual (and heartfelt) pro-life,
anti-abortion arguments. The researchers, the hospital and the medical
school followed all of the appropriate ethical protocols. The pro-life
people did their best to oppose it. When we learned that they were lobbying
the politicians actively to stop the program, the Parkinson community
rallied with its own lobbying effort -- using arguments very similar to
those in Bob's document. In the end we succeeded and the politicians
concluded that this was a medical and scientific issue rather than a
political or religious issue.

In my opinion we need this kind of research and recent news stories seem to
confirm this.

Best to everyone from a wet and rainy Nova Scotia,

Peter

Peter Kidd
Learning Materials Consulting Services
62 Coronation Avenue, Halifax, Nova Scotia B3N 2M6 Canada
Tel/FAX: (902) 443-4262 Email: [log in to unmask]