I think the important distinction Bob Martone makes between 1)
abortion and 2) fetal tissue use for medical purposes, based on
which he can without logical contradiction and in good conscience
favor the latter but not the former, is quite clear and convincing.

In fact, one could, by virtue of the same distinction, favor the
former and oppose the later.

However, one argument for fetal tissue use, item #2, does not hold
up as stated.

> 2.  To the suggestion that fetal tissue use would create a demand
> for abortion or would encourage abortion, we simply ask does heart
> transplantation encourage murder? There is no evidence to support
> such a conclusion ....

The problem is that an analogy is attempted where two situations are
not comparable.  Murder, whether or not for the purpose of obtaining
an organ for a transplant, is illegal everywhere.  The legality of
killing an embryo or fetus is not the same everywhere.  Also, the
social taboo in the former situation is much stronger.

A better argument could be made by citing, for places where a ban on
fetal tissue use has been lifted, any evidence that in fact there
was an increase in abortion that could be attributed to lifting the
ban.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990