Wendy I agree with your stance, but all a person should do to avoid being
labeled as a Snake Oil seller, is to make sure to mention if they are in the
business of selling something, and if that something is not an established
mainstream product, tell us honestly.  When too many details are not provided,
and the person becomes defensive, or drops out of sight on questioning,
USUALLY, it is a sign that the suspicions were correct.
This list has 1600 folks who represent possibly a few thousand, when
caregivers and families are counted.  If someone could sell maybe $100 of
product to each of these people, they could make a nice bundle and then move
on to the next vulnerable group.
The world has millions of wonderful people, but the few slimy characters who
would build a pay toilet in a diarrhea ward to make a few bucks, spoil it for
everybody.  We must be grateful for the people with "snake oil radar" who can
sort them out.  Losing money is only part of the problem.  If you buy an
untested remedy and it makes you worse, or kills you, you don't have any
recourse.  If you buy tested medications from established companies, if
something goes wrong, they have resources to make it right.  If they do the
honorable thing, fine.  If not, the legal system can MAKE them pay.  The S.O.
person will be long gone, with your money................
Ken B