Someone recently posted some information on Coenzyme Q-10 (I
apologize for not remembering who posted it) which made me curious as
to it's benefits and whether it would be helpful to my mother who is
a PWP.  I asked my sister, Nancy, to look into it since she is more
familiar with natural supplements than I.  Here is what she found:

... you asked about Coenzyme Q-10.

I did an extensive search on Co Q-10 on the web which brought me most
often to sites that sell the supplement. But I did end up finding a
site called Life Extension Foundation. Anyone familiar with it?  It
offers their suggestions for medications and supplements for many
different conditions and diseases.  On the Parkinsons Page:
http://lef.org/protocols/prtcl-088.shtml
It suggests that 100mg 3 times a day of Coenzyme Q-10 would be
helpful. It also suggests other supplements such as DHEA and
melatonin. Another thing it said was that vitamin B6 can prevent L-
dopa from reaching the brain which is not a good thing. I suspect
this means to be careful of B6 in daily vitamins?

Here is what I found on Coenzyme Q-10 in a book I have. It was listed
with the enzymes and nutritional supplements like DHEA, Melatonin,
and Blue-Green Algae.  It sounds like a pretty good thing to take
overall, so may get added to my list which now consists of garlic,
cranberry, ginseng (Siberian), Ginko biloba, Primrose oil, PMS
formula, multiple vitamins, C, E, B, and various other concoctions.
It actually sounds like it is best for the heart.

Coenzyme Q-10, also known as ubiquinone, is one of the most important
nutrients known to man.  There are ten different coenzymes, but only
Co Q-10 is found in human tissue, in every cell of the body.  This
enzyme is an essential nutrient, an important antioxidant, and aids
in the activity of other enzymes.  Co Q-10 can be synthesized in the
body, but defiencies are fairly common as the ability of the body to
synthesize the enzyme decreases with age.

Co Q-10 is a primary ingredient of cellular mitochondria.  It is a
catalyst in the production of energy and boosts biochemical ability.
It is found in high concentrations in organs that require abundant
amounts of energy such as the heart and liver.  Co Q-10 is similar to
vitamins E and K in its chemical structure.  It is also thought to
resemble vitamin E in its ability to function as an antioxidant.  It
has the ability to neutralize free radicals which cause damage to the
cells. Because of the immune enhancing abilities of this enzyme, it
may help with conditions such as AIDS, cancer, viral and bacterial
infections, and tumors.
Co Q-10 has shown significant benefits when used by cardiac patients.
 The heart muscle needs this essential nutrient to function properly.
 When there is a deficiency, a myriad of cardovascular problems can
occur.  Clinical tests have shown favorable results with heart
patients taking Co Q-10.  The coenzyme may help protect the heart
from damage suffered during a heart attack.  It may also help reduce
tissue damage which occurs during open heart surgery and may aid with
heart transplant patients.  Some researchers believe that just the
addition of Co Q-10 to the diet will improve heart performance, even
without exercise.  One study confirmed this theory.  Volunteers were
given a daily dose of the enzyme for eight weeks.  Oxygen utilization
and exercise capacity of the heart both improved.

Co Q-10 is present in many foods such as wheat bran, beef heart,
spinach, peanuts and rice and is also thought to be safe when taken
as a supplement.  Even high doses have not shown to cause serious
side effects.  Some minor cases of gastrointestinal problems have
been reported, but complications are rare and not severe.

Dennis Liebl ([log in to unmask])
Son of PWP Lillian (79/1)

<Prodigy Distribution List>
TO: MLAD79F