ListFolks and Friends:

A follow-up note to the helpful postings by Charles Meyer, Helen Mason et al
re: tonight's NBC-DATELINE show:

This is a big one.  NBC has scheduled it for "sweeps" week (as you know,
that's the time of year when they like to show off the best of their wares to
customers and advertisers).

The segment focuses on a patient (and her family) who go through the surgical
procedure of deep-brain stimulation (in the area of the subthalamic
nucleus--the one that's still under a research protocol in the United States)
) at Emory University in Atlanta.  As you all know, the Emory program (it's a
research center of the APDA), under Dr. Mahlon de Long, is one of the finest
in the world.

The program--which was more than ONE YEAR in the making!!--follows the patient
from the preliminary interviews, through the surgery, through several months
of follow-up.  I have not seen it (and they are holding the details rather
close to their chests) but I think we can expect a riveting documentary
experience.  (One--shades of our recent Internet exchanges about the Parade
piece!--that's neither totally upbeat or totally downbeat!).  Bob Bazell, the
leading science and medicine reporter on television these days, is the
reporter.

NBC has made arrangements to field follow-up calls from people who are
interested in hearing more about the procedure (and other surgical approaches,
and PD generally) -- both via Emory itself and by way of PDF and the other PD
foundations (I understand we're all to be hotlinked to the NBC website).

If you like the show and want NBC to know your feelings, you may also want to
drop them a note or an e-mail; networks love that and it increases our chances
of further coverage later.

A warning: the continuation of the dreary Bill and Monica soap opera (today's
the day for release of the Linda Tripp tapes, for goodness' sake) may dominate
the lower-middlebrow sections of the airwaves tonight; I understand that even
Dateline is giving over the first part of its show tonight to a Nightly News
special segment on the subject.  But as of mid-morning Tuesday, the
Parkinson's piece was still scheduled to run (during the second half of the
show).  NBC is by all accounts very proud of it.

Good viewing!

Robin Elliott, Executive Director, Parkinson's Disease Foundation

P.S. Dateline airs at 10 p.m. on the East and West Coasts but I'm not sure
about Mountain and Central.  Check your local listings.