The potential for a disruption in the continuous availability of
prescription drugs due to year 2000 computer glitches is finally
getting a little public attention, regretable as it may be that such
attention is needed.  Here are some items of interest that I have
gathered for the benefit of anyone who is concerned

The October issue of AARP Bulletin carries a feature article on
year 2000 problems.  Regarding prescription drugs, it says, "If you
take prescription drugs, especially medicine for a chronic
condition, authorities say it would be prudent to add an extra week
or two of pills to your supply before January 2000."  It doesn't
identify "authorities."

AARP also recommends preparing for the remote possibility of a power
outage.  As it so happens, I had clipped a small AP article from my
local paper a few weeks ago about a power-related disruption in the
supply of Parke-Davis's 0.3 mg Nitrostat nitroglycerin tablets.  A
power outage from a hurricane in Puerto Rico caused the only factory
that supplies these tablets in this size to the U.S. to shut down
producion for 8 days.  A shortage was created, and patients phoned
the drug company headquarters in New Jersey to express their concern.
 This tablet is of course for cardiac patients, and other, larger
sizes were available. However, this does illustrate one way in which
prescription drug supplies may be vulnerable in January 2000.
Fortunately, there are several suppliers of sinemet and Eldepryl. As
to the newer PD medicines, I don't know whether any come from just
one factory.

I had written to my Congressman, Robert Menendez (D. NJ), who is now
the 4th ranking Democrat in the House, to check whether he was aware
of the Y2K problem potential for prescription drugs and to ask who
was monitoring it. He replied, "...As of now, I do not know of any
efforts made to investigate this issue. However, I have written the
Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to express my concerns and to
request that they send you any information they have on the issue."
It's a start.  Needless to say, I have yet to hear from the FDA.

Now that I have gotten Menendez's attention, I can write again. When
we discussed year 2000 on the list before, someone wrote that they
wouldn't be able to stock up in advance because they only got their
prescriptions a month at a time, due I think to a Medicaid
restriction. (Do I remember this correctly?)  I neglected to mention
this to the Congressman, so I will bring it to his attention in my
next letter, if someone will again please give me the details, along
with any other related problems anyone following this topic may wish
to point out.

Phil Tompkins
Hoboken NJ
age 60/dx 1990