Dennis,

Yes it sounded like I meant that  the definition for being human included
usefulness to society and clearly I don't believe that.  I brought up the issues
about population as an additional factor to be considered.   It is a whole other
argument.  Technology has been able to prolong the lives of many and increase
the survival rates in many countries.  I do not believe in forced abortion (as
in China) or mandatory sterilization.   I think that in most countries where
birth control  and/or abortion has been available the population growth rate has
voluntarily dropped precipitously.

At  this point I think the social goal should be to make every child a wanted
child. Some list in the future may need to debate these other issues but for now
.  But I think this is all getting away from PD and should not effect the issue
of stem-cell research.

As to when HUMAN life begins that is one issue that I doubt whether consensus is
possible.  I think decision as to whether to allow abortion in society need to
be made recognizing this conflict respecting the views of good  people on both
sides and respect for the right of each person to make decisions for
themselves.  I recognize that is a hard one to swallow if a person actually
fully believes that abortion is murder but how else can we deal with this issue
operationally?

Dennis-  I hope this addresses all of the issues that you posed.

Charlie.