Tasmar And Liver Failure   18 Nov 1998
(Readers Beware: The Following Does NOT Substitute For
Professional Medical Advice- Obtain That From Your Doctor!)

Recent news about unforeseen risk of fatal liver injury from the
COMT inhibitor tolcapone (Tasmar) has prompted a flurry of
official reaction as well as warnings of concern to many
Parkinsn listmembers who have been taking Tasmar as part of
their PD medication. My own reaction, based partly on undeniable
benefit since I began taking Tasmar in June of this year, has
been to look for more detailed info about the risk, in hopes of
finding a rationale to continue its use if it looks safe enough.

As usual, I turned first to my trusty Merck Manual (1992) for
background. The liver seems to be the body's busiest chemical
laboratory, as well as the most vulnerable. Many foreign
compounds, such as drugs and including tolcapone, are converted
in the liver to innocuous forms which then can be excreted by
the kidneys in urine. But the liver is subject to an astonishing
variety of threats. Merck's index contains nearly two dozen
different causes of hepatitis (the general term for liver
trouble). We've all heard of alcohol's effects, and viruses such
as Hepatitis A Virus (HAV), HBV, and HCV, but maybe not NANB
(unknown, but Not A, Not B). And there is a whole chapter about
drugs (medications) and the liver. The syndrome that has been
connected with Tasmar is rare and usually caused by acute HBV or
NANB infection, but "drugs" is also mentioned. It's called
"fulminant hepatitis" because of its swift onset: coma and signs
of bleeding may develop within hours, followed by kidney failure
and usually, a fatal outcome. On autopsy, massive necrosis and
atrophy of the liver are seen.

All this makes some sense if a virus is the villain; but the
sudden unpredictable onset, from a drug which may have been
taken for months without noticable ill effect, is harder to
understand. And the rarity of the disease in connection with
Tasmar, currently about 3 cases among 60,000 PWP taking the
drug, is even more puzzling. One wonders how authorities can be
so sure that Tasmar was the cause, or if they are only being
cautious.

Another question pertains to the monitoring protocol recommended
by Roche (and practiced by Kaiser), which is only to measure a
single enzyme, alanine aminotransferase (ALT) every 6 weeks for
3 months, then monthly for the next 3 months. Elevated ALT is a
signal of several kinds of liver distress, but it's hard to see
how a 6-weekly or monthly test can detect something as sudden
and unpredictable as fulminant hepatitis. Does an acceptable
level of ALT during the first 6 months indicate that there is
nothing further to fear? Or is the monitoring protocol just a
bit of window dressing, for lack of anything better? Could
Tasmar somehow have made those victims more vulnerable to a
virus (HBV or NANB)? Stay tuned.
Cheers,
Joe
--