Dear Barbara,

>Date:    Sat, 14 Nov 1998 16:28:02 EST
>From:    Barbara Blake-Krebs <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nov. Rotarian mag.- PWP Execise Video
>        "Wally FIschmann and Henry Tseng of the Rotary Club of Westwood
>Village, CA,>USA, have produced an exercise video for people with
>Parkinson's, a
>        Is anyone on the list familiar with this video?

This generous group of Rotarians worked together with Dr. Jeff Bronstein,
Director of the UCLA Movement Disorders Program, and Rachel McCoy, an
exercise instructor and personal trainer.  Dr. Bronstein gave us 2 copies
for our support group's lending library.

It's a very good video.  Rachel is irresistable and irrepressible, with her
charming English accent.   They use that as the "story" of the video -- how
she compels 4 people with Parkinson's off the couch and  keeps them moving
for an hour, covering the full range of motion.  The facial exercises are
of course the most fun, including puckering up.  She uses a  lot of
sensible techniques, like doing "push-ups" standing against the well rather
than doing them on the  floor.  One of the 4 PWP is always seated, so the
sit-down
version of each exercise is shown.

Once you're familiar with the tape, it's possible to  see  how to break it
up into segments.     Otherwise I'd imagine the  hour would be a bit long
even for people who are in  fairly good shape.

Then there's the age factor.  All four people with Parkinson's do very well
but they're no spring chickens.  I'd hesitate to recommend this to
newly-diagnosed young people with Parkinson's because they might see  the
tremor  and slowness as discouraging, rather than marvel as I did at how
well the
four former couch potatoes are doing.  And Rachel speaks in a strong,
loud voice, which is appropriate for a class where some people might have a
problem with hearing.

There's a  "Sit and  be Fit" video for people with Parkinson's  which is
also very good, but not  nearly as fun nor as comprehensive as Rachel's.

As you mentioned in your message, you can order a tape through Anna Panzazarino
at the Westside Family YMCA, 11311 La Grange Avenue, Los Angeles, CA  90025.
telephone:   310/477-1511.  She will send you an order form.  They're
selling them
at cost plus shipping for a total of $7.00.  (the usual disclaimer: I'm not
connected
with this project and I'm not going to profit from telling you about it.)

Barbara, thanks to your sharp eye for noticing it in the Rotarian magazine!

Mary
50/diag.1990/sinemet,tasmar,mirapex/ T'ai Chi & singing lessons/recovering
couch potato