I was going through some old papers and I came across this
poem I wrote years ago. Thought I'd share it.
Bill
Tough Question

There it is, the question I've been dreading
the words echo in their fawn eyes
silence hangs between us like a veiled threat
they want,  they need an answer
I just got home from the hospital
after being treated for depression
so black,  so bleak
suicide had seemed a viable solution
now my two sons were asking
"Dad, will you be alright?"
I had anticipated this situation
since awakening in intensive care
connected to ruthless machines with no conscience
I think of trying a flippant "Define alright"
to stall for time, or better yet, avoid the question
but I sense a determined set in their chins
and I admire their courage
my heart bursts with pride
yet aches at the loss of the father I used to be
with Parkinson's,  promises die a lingering death
are they asking, will I try to kill myself again?
I don't think so
the taste of the anti-depressants I take each night
brings back the humiliating horror of the night I took so many
are they asking, will things between us ever be the same?
I don't think so
I have to learn to live within my limitations
I can no longer coach their teams
take them fishing
play hours of badminton
are they asking, will I get better?
I don't think so
there is no magical cure in my near future
the disease has robbed me
of the wonderful period of fatherhood
where you are invincible, an idol
my human frailties are all too clear
yet knowing how monstrous lies plague children's lives
I smile and tell a lie that God will understand
"Yes, I'll be fine, I just need a little rest"
one day this lie may be the final blow to my credibility
but my wife, who has an uncanny link with their emotions
hovers around the edge of the conversation
and smiles her support
the boys' smiles don't quite reach their eyes as they leave
the words twisted by the tool of my tongue
leave a dead ashen taste in my mouth
as symptoms worsen and I can't hide the pain
will they feel betrayed, seeing me suffer?
on the other hand, only He knows his plans for tomorrow
so why not make the best I can of my time now?
I am not sure if we all journey to our deaths
or death journeys to us
but maybe one of us will get lost
or if I keep smiling
maybe he won't recognize me!