Dear Wendy ,

Always that engineers have to build a dam , a bridge or any such works they run
in what it is called the "calculated risk" (better would be estimated risk) .
This by definition should be as close as the up to date knowledge in engineering
allows the designers to take in account possible situations in which the project
will not be safe , or will fail .

There is not a 100 per cent safe work and depending the cases the "calculated
risk" can be small or bigger than another . Say for instances a dam built in
region that is subjected to earthquakes of variable scale .The same may apply
also to a project to build and send people to the moon as already was done .

The point is the "calculated risk" has to be assumed because otherwise the
project cannot be realized .

Now , back to PD and other diseases the MDs may have to face their "calculated
risk" if they wish to fight a disease knowing sometimes that there may have bad
side effects or else other risks as a during a surgery . For instance in
fighting cancer problems MDs may find necessary to use chemistry therapy even
knowing the terrible side effects they may cause to their patients as long there
is not a better procedure . Another risk may occur during a transplant surgery
as concerned rejection etc.,etc.

The problem with "snake oil" and some alternative medicine is that there is
harder to people estimate any benefits , (or how much ), from them, or have any
idea of the relation benefits in curing a disease and its "calculated risks" .

The point is that errors are are impossible to detect all and the important
thing to human knowledge is to LEARN from these errors as should be the case
with a scientific procedure and as the history of the advance of the  human
knowledge have demonstrated so far.

Warm regards,

Joao

   +----| Joao Paulo de Carvalho   |------ +