I grew up in a wheelchair in the 60's.
One thing I learned very quickly is that society and the world in genral
does not care about individuals. It is not picking on me because I'm in
a chair. It owes me nothing because society may have done something that
gave me a messed up wad of genetiic material. It was not going to make
any allowances because I was different. If anything, it wa going to
target me for early trip to oblivion much as a lion singles out the sick
animal in a herd. I descided that the only way to make it in this social

jungle was to look that lion in the navel and spit. Then if the bluff
didn't work, pat him on the head before before he bit me. The surprise
would probably kill him.
So I've gone pretty much where I wanted  and done pretty much what I
wanted. I've taken advantage of luck when it happened and made my own
way when it didn't. A lot of people helped me get as far as I've come
knowing they didn't owe me anything. I accepted thier help with thanks
in the same spirit.
Now I have PD. Nothing has changed. Society Still owes me zip and cares
even less. I help others when and where I can in the hopes they will do
the same for someone less fortunate than I. My wife and I are well aware
that I'm going to get worse. If you are like I am and have no extended
family with a long history of taking care of thier own. If you you are
like I and are not indepentantly wealthy. Then at this point in time the
future looks like an extended stay in a nursing home where nobody gives
a flying fart.
I am a realist.
I also live in the here and now and plan as I can for the future while
trying not to let it scare me stiff.

Marvin Giles.