In my opinion, Barb has performed a great service to the list by
providing this information. In addition to calling our attention to the
pain and suffering caused by a person who apparently intended to deceive
for personal gain, it has raised a concern that hadn't occurred to me
before:

> the fact
> that I had been contacted through email, yet addressed as "Suzie" which is
> my chat room nick name,

This troubles me. It appears that a "scambag" was lurking in a chatroom,
found out that Barb had PD, and used that knowledge to e-mail her
personally, guiding her to a website that promised false hope at great
financial expense. It's one thing to surf the web and locate a website
offering a cure; it's quite another to receive a personal e-mail that
directs the receiver to the site. This is a new level of deception --
or, at least, it's new to me.

Besides the pain and distress this can cause, I'm worried that someone
might respond to such a website giving personal information that could
allow a huckster to trace the individual's location.

It must have taken great courage on Barb's part to post this traumatic
and painful information; I think we should all take notice, and use this
information to increase our awareness of the levels of deception
possible on the Internet.

Thank you, Barb, for raising my awareness another notch. I intend to
inform as many people as possible of this incident, including health
professionals, as I believe others may benefit as much as I have.

My very best regards,
Kathrynne

--
Kathrynne Holden, MS, RD