Well, Bob, with all the modern audio equipment, nothing beats a live
performance.  I have recordings by Yma Sumac, but don't remember ever
listening to them!  I will make an effort to find them.  Good point you made
about the range of woman's voices compared to males, but I can think of a few
who sound so good by themselves, it doesn't matter!  What about Ella
FitzGerald, Sarah Vaughan, Rosemary Clooney, Linda Ronstadt, (with the right
tunes) actually there are many good female vocalists, unfortunately we've lost
some of the best ones. Ken B