At 7:01 PM 11/26/98, judith richards wrote:
>> But it is unusual for Parkinson's to strike someone as young as Fox,
>> said Blair McRobie, president and CEO of the Parkinson's Foundation of
>> Canada. In the vast majority of cases, the disease strikes people over
>> the age of 55. An estimated 1% of people over 55 will suffer from the
>> disease in their lifetime.

THE DISEASE IS, ON A-V-E-R-A-G-E, DIAGNOSED AT AGE 57.  BASICALLY, WITHOUT
GETTING INTO THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN ARITHMETIC MEAN AND MEDIAN, ONE-HALF
ARE YOUNGER THAN 57, ONE-HALF ARE OLDER - AT THE TIME OF OFFICIAL
DIAGNOSIS.

AT LEAST, THAT IS THE PARTY LINE WE HAVE BEEN SPEWING TO THE U.S. CONGRESS
=46OR THE LAST 5 YEARS, IN A HERCULEAN TASK TO OBTAIN INCREASED FUNDING FOR
PD RESEARCH.  I THOUGHT WE RECOGNIZED THAT "DIAGNOSED" IS NOT THE SAME AS
"STRIKES."  IT TAKES YEARS FOR 80% OF ONE'S DOPAMINE PRODUCTION TO
DISSIPATE SO THAT A DIAGNOSIS OF PARKINSON'S CAN BE MADE.  I WAS DIAGNOSED
AT 57, BUT I LOOK BACK ON MY SYMPTOMS AND THEY BEGAN AROUND AGE 48 OR 49,
WHEN I INITIALLY NOTICED CHANGES. BUT MY LOSS OF DOPAMINE BEGAN YEARS
EARLIER, PERHAPS IN MY LATE THIRTIES! SO WASN'T THAT WHEN I WAS "STRICKEN?"
MICHAEL J. FOX, DIAGNOSED AT 31, PROBABLY STARTED LOSING DOPAMINE IN HIS
EARLY TO MIDDLE TWENTIES - SO HE WAS "STRICKEN" EVEN EARLIER THAN WE ARE
BEING LED TO BELIEVE.

BUT, LET'S NOT FRIGHTEN THE PUBLIC, RIGHT MR. BLAIR?

WORDS LIKE "STRIKES" AND "ONSET" SHOULD BE EITHER CLARIFIED AND UNIVERSALLY
ACCEPTED OR DISCARDED FROM USE BY REPUTABLE AGENCIES LIKE THE PF OF CANADA,
THE APDA AND THE NPF.  BETTER YET, ALL THE NORTH AMERICAN PD ORGANIZATIONS,
WHOSE EXECUTIVE MEMBERSHIP IS DEVOID OF PERSONS SUFFERING FROM THE ILLNESS,
SHOULD SIT DOWN AND AGREE UPON THE BASICS:  HOW MANY OF US ARE ILL WITH
THIS DISEASE, WHEN, ON AVERAGE, DO WE GET IT, AND HOW MUCH DOES IT COST
SOCIETY AND THE PARKINSON'S FAMILY?

I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT, WITH ALL THE TIME THE RUMOR OF MR. FOX'S REVELATION
WAS ON THE LISTSERV, OUR ORGANIZATIONS DIDN'T HAVE TIME TO PREPARE AN
IMMEDIATE RESPONSE, HAVE A PUBLIC RELATIONS STRATEGY, OR IN SOME WAY
POSITION THEMSELVES TO RESPOND IN A WAY THAT WOULD SYMPATHIZE WITH MR. FOX
AND USE HIS ANNOUNCEMENT TO SUPPORT THE CALL FOR MORE RESEARCH FUNDING.
MAYBE IT IS STILL COMING.  I SURE HOPE SO.