hi barb

At 13:30 1998/11/27 -0800, you wrote, in part:
>After the news of Michael J. Fox having PD was made public a
>coupla-three days ago, I surfed a variety of online newspaper's
>sites to see what was said about the disease itself.
>
>There were TONS of articles about Fox and how he's made it thru the
>past 7 years living with, and battling against PD.   Most articles
>were linked to the Web sites representing a wide variety of highly
>respected hospitals, movement disorder units, and national agencies
>claiming to represent local, regional, national, and international
>Parkinson's communities.... NOT sent by people WITH Parkinson's ...

not to 'jump' on you barb
but
this is news?

isn't this the core of the 'visibility problem'
that we've been railing about for the past couple of years?

the big, big, and may i say, BIG difference here
is in the fact that there were 'TONS of articles' about mjf
this amount of publicity about pd has never happened before

the kind of grassroots work done by the pan forum for the past five years
in washington dc in re the udall bill funding
has never been done before
because
there has never been a medium like this before
there has never been a cyber-family like us before

the speed of communication alone is breathtaking

[e.g. updating my sister hour by hour on wednesday -
- 'it's on larry king tonight - no
- 'it's on 20/20 tonight - no
- 'it's on 20/20 on friday night']

if we see / hear / smell inaccurate pd information
and want to make sure that those involved make corrections

it's up to us
to write / call / yell whenever we encounter this stuff

mjf's courage and generosity in 'coming out' with his pd
is a perfect sparking point
for clarification

it's up to us
to take full advantage
of what has been handed to us on a plate
[sorry if you are still turkey-stuffed]

personally,
since the story has been initially given to people magazine by mjf,
my initial thought is to write a response to people magazine
[but only after i read the article!]
[today!]

hey!
somebody answer that door, will ya?!

janet

janet paterson - 51 now /41 dx /37 onset - almonte/ontario/canada