Dear Kathrynne-- I checked your book, and couldn't find the recommended
amounts of vitamins C and E for PWPs---forgive me if I missed it.  I am
wondering if Peter gets enough in the supplements he takes, as I'm sure his
diet is inadequate alone. Here are the levels:

Multi-vitamin for "mature" folks:   C = 90 mg   E = 60 i.u.
Extra supplements                        500 mg      400 i.u.
                               _______  _______
                                  590 mg             460 i.u.

I have always been told that any *excess* C is excreted. But  also have
heard there may be a danger in *too much* E.   Can you clarify?

I want to thank you for alerting me to the need to read labels for amounts
of carbohydrates  VS  protein, so as to try to get a 7:1 ratio in regular
meals, without having to buy the special products that are formulated that
way.  For example, when Peter wants a chocolate Ensure, with 9 grams
protein and 42 grams carbo., I know I must add carbo (usually fruit and
bread) to get a total of about 63 g. carbo.
I wonder if PWPs in hospitals and nursing homes are able to watch the
balance in this way?  Is that part of the educating you are doing, trying
to reach hospital dieticians?   Just one more thing for CGs/advocates  to
watch, along with timing of meds and hospital meals !  Thanks again for all
you do for us....

Camilla Flintermann, CG for Peter 80/9+
Oxford, Ohio

                        "Ask me about the CARE list for