In regards to the role of the liver in pd,  I've brought up discussion (or
tried to) several times in the past on this topic, as I consider it both
relevant and important for consideration.  It makes total sense to me,
especially if one is trying to find ways to either prevent pd or to slow its
progression, especially as they already know that this so-called genetic
component actually lies in the liver and not the brain specifically.  I
would think that neuros would be trying to team their research with those
doctors who specialize in liver conditions.  All of that deep-brain
stimulation, tissue transplants, pallidotomies, new drugs, etc., can have a
very positive effects on pwp's lives in an immediate sense, but I fail to
understand the seeming lack of interest in doing liver research, that I see
as existing in the pd community at large (unless for some reason this
genetic research has instead defined the genetic deficiency as lying
somewhere other than the liver).

When I've had acupuncture treatments, they've always focussed their
attention on my liver and kidneys, both of which filter toxins out of the
body.  One woman (a friend of a friend) had also been taking classes in
auras, etc., and she said when she passed her hands over my body, she felt
something funny down in the region of my kidneys.  Whether one believes in
that stuff or not, I thought it interesting, especially as she was
relatively new to this, and yet picked up on the same organs/region as did
my acupuncturist. Both styles of diagnosis and healing are based on the
body's energy fields, so in a way it's not surprising.

Alot of the nutritional and alternative therapies for pd, also place some
emphasis on detoxification, which also makes sense to me if toxins play a
significant role.  It may be that they ultimately affect one's brain, and
maybe we can eventually develop drugs that interfere with this process as
related to the brain itself, but if it's a failure of the liver to filter
toxins out sufficiently, so that they accumulate to dangerous levels, then
it seems to me that detox therapies woould be an obvious and standard method
of treatment to be incorporated into any modality or traditional practice.
Maybe being an engineer makes me think too logically or something.  If my
basic assumptions are wrong, concerning the liver's role via its weakness,
then I'd like to know.  Otherwise, I believe we're missing out on alot of
potentialy beneficial research here.

Related to this, just as their are assistive devices and physical therapies,
etc., to help [wp's function, then if we are all basically chemically
sensitive, then wouldn't it also make sense to pursue topics like how to
make your home and work environment less toxic, etc., as being very relevant
to our success/failure in coping with, and maybe even transcending, pd?
Makes sense yo me also, but I see little talk of that in regards to pd.  It
might seem that we have perhaps been brainwashed into believing in the magic
of drugs and surgeries, when maybe a little more focus on our livers and our
environment would make all of these other areas eventually moot.  I'm not
necessarily proposing some big conspiracy here, but a general mindless
acceptance by everyone involved (doctors, researchers, drug companies,
national pd groups, pd patients - all of us), in the standard perspective on
how to approach the ultimate defeat of pd.  Maybe a change in perspective is
needed to get that breakthrough that we all want/need..  Just a thought (or
two)

Wendy Tebay