The purpose of my sending this to the list is to confirm that there is hope
with respect to the recent papers in Nature and Science even more hope
for PD  sufferers than 3 years ago.  As a "guinea pig" I felt an obligation
 to others to discuss my part of the experiment.

 37 months ago I underwent nuerotransplant surgery at The Neurosciences
Institute,  The Hospital of the Good Samaritan in Los Angeles. (I
am a male who was  57 at the time and was formally diagnosed when I was 50,
but was mildly symptomatic for at least 10 years earlier.)  A 3 year post-op

evaluation was just completed.  The  protocol did not extend to 3 years,
but as I understand it, the scientists  are finding improvements extend
beyond the initial protocol period.  The symptoms that appeared improved
within a short time after surgery, no micrography, good arm swing, ability
to move facial muscles, ability to
wiggle my toes, continue to improve.  Mobility is generally good as long
as  I am not stressed.  I continue to walk daily (about 45 minutes) and
attempt  to follow a PD exercise schedule; but have carpal tunnel syndrome
along  with  ulna nerve neuropathy which hurts!    I did not take
cyclosporin post-op  as  I have had cancer and the surgical team thinks
cyclosporin can trigger  activity in quiescent cancer cells.

 When the meds work well and my brain cooperates, I sometimes feel normal.
My problems with stress  (anxiety and/or panic attacks) are helped with
Xanax but I wish I didn't need to take it.  I  have reduced Sinamet by 1.5,
25/100 daily (now 6/day) , and  take Mirapex, Artane and  Tasmar in
sub-therapeutic titrations.  Periods of stress and anxiety may last only a
few hours, but often take weeks for me to reach the higher quality of
life (the plateau) I was experiencing prior to the stressful situation.

 Sleeping is a problem (turning and getting in and out of the bed.)  A set
of satin (acetate) sheets helps greatly but I need to be careful and not
slip out of the bed and slide onto the floor.

 When stressed or when anxious for reasons I don't understand and when
sinemet and other drugs do not work, I have episodes of freezing in place
when  movement and speech are very difficult.  When possible, I speak to my
feet and legs if I am immobile, "left foot take a big step" and so on.  I
carry a walking stick for "insurance" if I intend being in an area which is
crowded.   I have fallen on occasion, but find if I stop and breathe
deeply, my  chance  of falling is reduced.  I tire easily and my voice, by
the end of a few  sentences, is soft.  I speak much slower than I used to
and short  term  memory is not as I would like it.

Claudia Perdices, the NPF Patient Services & Outreach Program Coordinator at
Good Sam [log in to unmask] can provide additional info.
800-841-8765
---------